Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Criterion Chronicles - The Stranger

This is an ongoing series in which I chronicle the films of the Criterion Collection that I watch. I will include a brief synopsis and my thoughts. I usually watch these films on Hulu Plus' Criterion Channel..... I am currently paid by neither..




"The Stranger" by Satyajit Ray is about an affluent Calcutta family who is paid an unexpected visit by a man who claims to be a long estranged uncle. He claims to have other business in town and apologizes for the intrusion. Having not seen the man in the past 35 years, the family grows more and more suspicious of his true identity and motive for the visit.

This is only my second film by India's Satyajit Ray. Earlier this year, I watched his 1958 film, "The Music Room" and was completely blown away so I've been looking forward to checking out some more of his work. This film made me even more excited about exploring the rest of his filmography. I really took me by surprise.

There isn't much of a plot. The world-weary stranger shows up, the family is suspicious, he tells them fantastic stories of his many travels, then he leaves. The film essentially is a series of dialog driven set pieces about trust, respect, culture, religion and human relationships. This is the dialog driven type of heartfelt drama like "Certified Copy" or "Before Sunrise" that I have been more apt to fall for over the past few years.

It's fitting that this film turned out to be the swan song from an accomplished auteur. He passed away in the
year following this film's release. It feels as though the titular character of the film knows his time is limited and is attempting to leave us with his last tidbits of knowledge before his final parting. As such, the film itself turns into a smorgasbord of philosophical and thought provoking colloquy.

It's worth noting also that this film looks completely beautiful. Most Indian films have lavish colors palettes and this one is no exception. It also features a great dance sequence at the end.


I'm glad I watched this one and I'm looking forward to finding more from this Satyajit Ray. There are several from me to chose from on Hulu.

 

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment