Search This Blog

Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Criterion Chronicles - Cria Cuervos

This is an ongoing series in which I chronicle the films of the Criterion Collection that I watch. I will include a brief synopsis and my thoughts. I usually watch these films on Hulu Plus' Criterion Channel..... I am currently paid by neither..




Carlos Saura's 1976 film takes place in the Franco's fascist Spain and tells the story of three orphaned girls being raised by their aunt and long time housekeeper. We watch through the eyes of the main character, Ana (Ana Torrent), the middle sister who is fascinated with the macabre, having witnessed both of her parent's deaths. 

The title of this film is an abbreviation of the Spanish proverb,  "Cria cuervos y te sacaran los ojos." which literally translates "Raise ravens and they'll take your eyes out." I think this story is meant to be a metaphor of the self destructive nature of an entire generation 'raised' by a fascist dictatorship and it illustrates the inevitable turning of the tides. The girl's father was a high ranking military official and Ana thinks that she was responsible  for his death. Bear in mind that this film was being made while Francisco Franco was on his deathbed. Director, Carlos Saura, an avid anti-Francoist even joked, "Franco took so long to die, we had time to buy champagne."


I love the way this film toggles between fantasy and reality from the eyes of Ana. She still seems to maintain a relationship with her deceased mother. It's not always clear whether this is from a supernatural medium or from a combination of her imagination and memories. Either way, its clear that she sees more than what meets the eye. This is similar to Ana Torrent's performance in her earlier performance in "The Spirit of the Beehive." I'm pretty sure its that performance that inspired the casting for this film. This film also features a great dual performance from screen legend Geraldine Chaplin as both the mother and Ana as an adult. 

I can't really tell how much of a fan of this film I am or will be. I can tell you that it demands a second viewing. I think I'll have to revisit it some other time. I was very struck by the performances and I've always loved when a film skips the exposition and just takes takes you for the ride. I also really dug the song, "Porque Te Vas" by Jeanette, which is featured prominently a few times in this film.... My suggestion, check it out... it won't hurt and you might like it...


Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment