Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Criterion Chronicles - Eraserhead

This is an ongoing series in which I chronicle the films of the Criterion Collection that I watch. I will include a brief synopsis and my thoughts. I usually watch these films on Hulu Plus' Criterion Channel..... I am currently paid by neither..





Eraserhead (1977) is auteur, David Lynch's first feature length film about industrial printer Henry Spencer and his dismal existence. The world around him is loud and filthy, his apartment is tiny and run down, his only entertainment is a singing woman living in his radiator and his girlfriend is completely nuts. To make matters worse, she gives birth to a premature mutant child that cries all night. After all that, the movie start to get a bit weird...


This is not my first experience with this film. I watched it for the first time around ten years ago as a fan of David Lynch's other work. I really didn't like it at the time. For whatever reason, I just couldn't get into the story. But alas, I'm older and more patient now so I thought I should give it another chance. This film is very well respected by many of my peers and the cinematic community in general. Maybe my first viewing of it was skewed by my mood or something I ate. Maybe I just wasn't mature enough to appreciate it as the cinematic masterpiece it is. So, I gave it another shot....

Well Eraserhead, ummmm... have a seat.... can I get you anything?... Maybe a glass of water...? This is never easy... I'll just come out and say it... It's not you, it's me... No, really... There's actually a lot of things I really like about you. The practical effects used are well....... effecting to say the least, the cinematography is stark and at times very beautiful and the characters are very well written and fleshed out. I loved Allen
Joseph's "Mr X" as he is describing the "man made" chickens they are about to eat for dinner... "Little damn things, smaller than my fist.."

As far as I'm concerned, nobody should talk about this film without mentioning what I feel is by far it greatest attribute. Like many of his other films, Lynch does his own sound design. And this film is an amazing example of his genius at work in that particular department. The entirety of the picture is full not only of great sound effects but a constant ambient noise of the pulsating and whirring industrial machinery that absolutely fills the air. It's this attention to detail that I think led to Lynch's ability to achieve masterpiece status just three years later with 1980's "The Elephant Man".

So in summation, this may have not been my first experience with this film, it will be my last. I do admit however, that it is a far better movie than I had previously realized. And on some levels, it could probably be considered a masterpiece in its own right. Unfortunately, after watching it for the second time, I'm simply having too hard of a time not stabbing my eyeballs with my car keys.... Eraserhead, you're gross...



Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment