Search This Blog

Friday, September 2, 2011

You're Gonna Miss Me Review

Directed by: Keven McAlester
Starring: Roky Erickson
Running Time: 94 minutes
Rated: R
Released: 2004
Language: English

You're Gonna Miss Me is a documentary that profiles the career and subsequent mental condition of Roky Erickson, lead singer for the influential sixties band, 13th Floor Elevators. Roky started his career at the top, gaining almost instantaneous fame with his band. He had a great rock and roll voice that is said to have inspired the stage presence of Janis Joplin.

With interviews from ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons, Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore, and Angry Samoans' Metal Mike Saunders telling the professional side of the story and Roky's five brothers, mother and two ex-wives telling the about his home life. You're Gonna Miss Me is much more of a story of schizophrenia it's debilitating effects on those who suffer from it than that of the lead singer from a psychedelic rock band.

I held on to this one for a while before I actually stuck it in and watched it. For some reason, the topic at hand and what I had read about it from the back of the case and other reviewers just didn't seem to grab me. I was really expecting much more of a "Where are they now?" rock-doc, (VH1 style) than what it actually turned out to be. I was never really interested in the psychedelic rock scene and much less in the music that it produced. I would typically rather hear a hip-hop remix of Jefferson Starship than actually listen to the original track. But, I digress, it is kind of interesting to take a healthy dose of culture that my parents were into when they were my age.

Roky's life was actually quite tragic. He was the eldest of five boys born to an eccentric mother and emotionally absent father. He went from the severely broken home to the sixties music scene which was filled with booze, acid trips and heroin syringes. Roky dove in head first, slowly and steadily acquiring paranoid delusions and very unmanageable schizophrenia.

It's really hard to tell from this movie which aspect of his life contributed more to his illness. His home life was obviously a recipe for disaster, his drug abuse definitely permanently fried his brain, and his retirement was spent with the same neurotic and paranoid mother that had probably screwed him up in the first place.

All of this is staged in the background of a bitter family feud being fought in court. His mother doesn't seem to believe he should be on any medication and his brother, Sumner is petitioning for the control over his trust so he can get him back on his medicine and attempt to stabilize his ever fragile mind. It is pretty obvious in this film that his mother's methods of helping her son with yoga and "good, healthy living" are not doing the trick.

The largest obstacle this film had to overcome was in attempting to tell Roky's story through Roky's point of view. Although I don't think it completely succeeded, I am not sure how it could have been done, considering his state of mind. I will say that the film may have been better if we could have heard from Roky directly a bit more. The time he spent in front of the camera was very limited.

Ultimately, a documentary's success is based mostly on how interesting the topic is. Much like in the case of Manda Bala, this one succeeds for one major reason: It took a topic that I knew little about and made me interested in it. I think that's all I really care to ask of a doc. Give me something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment